Tuesday, December 18, 2018



Several years ago, I was setting up for my church’s 7th Annual Living Nativity. There’s quite a bit of prep work involved which includes recruitment of actors, hostesses, musicians, and servers. Given all the Christmas activities with my family and church, I was very busy. And who isn’t busy this time of year? Between shopping, baking, parties, and special events there’s a lot to do! Growing up in a pastor’s family, this was an even busier time of the year. Yet, if i’m not busy it doesn’t feel right.

A few years ago, at that Nativity I had a “Martha moment” when I saw things from a different perspective. For a quick recap, here is the scripture I’m referring to:

41 “Martha, Martha,” the Lord answered, “you are worried and upset about many things, 42 but few things are needed—or indeed only one.[a] Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her.”  (Luke 10:38-42)

On the opening night of the Living Nativity, after making sure all the actors were in their stations, including the chickens, ducks, goats, and sheep, I made my way to the front door to see the crowd of people waiting to go through. But, there was no crowd.  Just a small gathering of five or six people.

I was disappointed. I was hoping for more people. Although I had made an extra effort in advertising, for the next hour no one besides the five to six people showed up. I started to do what often is natural for me to do in these situations, I began to worry -- worry that no one new would come through, worry that others won’t think this was a worthy effort, worry that people participating won't want to come back.

Then I stopped and watched. Children, youth and parents were dressed up in Bible Christmas costumes to tell the message of Jesus’ birth. People had donated cookies for others to enjoy. Musicians from our church were singing Christmas songs together. Everyone was smiling as they talked with one another. The children were picking up the chickens and gently petting them. Smaller kids ran around the sets laughing as they chased each other.

At that moment, I realized they weren’t worried about low numbers. Families, musicians and other members of my church were coming together to be part of that story in teaching one another about Jesus. In education this is the most effect way to learn. In addition to that, Christmas memories were being created.

I found and put on parts of a villager’s costume and joined the children and adults in the area of Bethlehem town where Mary and Joseph would walk through to the stable. I smiled and talked with parents and anyone that came through to hear the true Christmas story.



During what is often a stressful and worrisome time of the year, may we stop being busy for the wrong reasons, have a “Martha moment” and see our part in God’s story as we share that with one another.  Let’s pray that God will help us to share that true reason to celebrate Christmas with someone who needs to hear it. As always, please keep the Indigenous people up north in your prayers, that they too would hear the Christmas message.



For unto you is born day in the city of David a Savior, who is Christ the Lord. Luke 2:11

No comments:

Post a Comment