Monday, August 12, 2019


In ministry, we vision, plan and then put a lot of effort into developing ministry programs. Our hope is that people who participate will grow and/or be encouraged in their faith. Often it involves hours and hours of preparation for these programs with much volunteer help. And yet, ministry often happens when you least expect or plan for it, sometimes right in the driveway.

Near the end of my time spent with a team before I headed to another community, ministry took place near the church entrance. A young man walked by. When I greeted him, he paused to ask what was going on.



We had just finished a community dinner. Kids were running around and several of the adults were talking in the rear of the church. There was still food on the table so I invited him in to have a meal. He said he had just eaten and then thanked me for “bringing a positive attitude into the community.”

This prompted me to say, “Well, that’s part of what we do. It’s where that positive attitude comes from that gives us a positive attitude.” He paused for a bit and commented something about him not having attended church in a while, that he was a pot smoker. His rationale was that “it was better than drinking.” I don’t remember exactly what he said next, but it was typical of a person when confessing that he/she has a drinking or drug problem -- the need to get “cleaned” up before going to church. Now, bear with me as I try to explain this next part.

I replied to his comment that I knew of several Christians who had smoked marijuana. I then shared that (if he had the time to hear our stories) he might be surprised how messed up some of us are, well, maybe I’m talking just about myself. When talking with anyone that has the idea he or she needs to “cleanup” their lifestyle before they can go to church, it’s easy to share that we are all in that same situation. We need Jesus to forgive our sins and be restored back to a relationship with God, knowing that the next day we might go back to our sinful ways. I explained to this young man that knowing what Christ did for me is what brings me that “positive attitude”!

This time, the young man paused longer to think. I asked if he wanted to come in, but he mentioned that it was too much noise. So I suggested he come back next year in the mornings or early afternoons when the group is usually hanging out and getting ready for the day. I know he will be back because he made a point to ask me my name. As I said, ministry happens when we don't expect it. Yet, God uses those times to create some of our most memorable moments.

No comments:

Post a Comment