Tuesday, January 14, 2020


It is a difficult day of the year for me, the day after Christmas break. This is the day the kids go back to school, and work starts again. Most of the lights and Christmas decorations are put away until next season. The walls and rooms look empty and cold. The Christmas cookies are starting to get old, and well . . .I’ve had a few too many. Plus, it is dark, cold and rainy outside.


Christmas was good this year. My family and I enjoyed our time with other family members and friends. We did a lot, and a lot has happened. Despite only a few weeks into winter, I’m already looking forward to spring when signs of new life sprout from the trees and plants around my house.

I shared about my seasonal depression in my blog a year ago and encourage you to hit the back arrow to read the January 2018 post. In it, I offer a few tips on helping with seasonal depression. In this article, I would like to share some recent insights discovered with First Nations people in the North. I know others might have similar feelings and thoughts.

It’s easy to compare and feel as if someone else is living a life we wish we had, wouldn’t you agree? There are a number of studies, and information available about the negative consequences (lower self-esteem, anxiety, depression, etc.) of identifying ourselves with others via social media. And at Christmas time, in particular, comes the reminder of what people might be missing because of the loss of a loved one or not having enough money to buy presents or broken relationships.

Some of the posts I read on Facebook reflected on people’s disappointment with Christmas, that expectations were not met. Others reflected that Christmas is a reminder that they couldn’t be with their family due to separation/divorce. A few other posts shared that, without work, they were unable to travel to be with family or buy presents.

I started to feel a little guilty for two different reasons. First, I sympathize with their pain. It’s hard to go through a time of year when things are meant to be happy and uplifting knowing that others are suffering. Secondly, it is knowing that these people are likely missing the true meaning of what Christmas is about.

God made a promise to Adam and Eve. “He shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heel.” (Genesis 3:16) God was talking to the serpent about sending His Son, Jesus, who would die upon the cross for our sins inherited from Adam and Eve because they listened to the serpent. Sin would be taken away so that we could have eternal life with God in heaven. This promise is something we seldom hear much about when the focus in our world during Christmas is on gift deals and places to shop.


The Christmas message is also something that people living in First Nations communities need to hear more often. Even though some have heard this message, it is easily forgotten when surrounded by hurt and hopelessness.  A little over a month from now, I plan to visit most of the communities I serve to offer hope found in Christ and make plans for Spring Fling trips in March when others will be coming with me to share lessons of faith with the children and encourage people in the community.

I’m also starting a new prayer campaign. One of the things that helps me when I travel alone in B.C. is knowing that I have people praying for me. So here is how you can help. I’m planning to send out a biweekly email for prayer requests. If you are like me, you get tired of all the emails, but I promise to keep it short -- just prayer requests.  If you are in need or know someone else in need of prayer, please let me know. I can have the LAMP staff pray for this during our weekly staff meetings online and/or put this on the prayer list. (Be assured that only first names are used.)

During what is often a dark and cold time of the year, both physically and emotionally, be at peace knowing that Jesus sympathizes with our pain; He became like us. But Jesus died on the cross for our sins and that Hope we have in our resurrection brings joy that we can share this Good News with others!

Happy 2020

No comments:

Post a Comment